Cognitive Structures: Linguistic, Philosophical and Psychological Perspectives
The DFG Collaborative Research Centre 991: The Structure of Representations in Language, Cognition, and Science (Germany) invites abstracts for its biannual conference that aims to cover a broad range of research on language and cognition.
We are especially interested in theoretical, empirical and experimental work exploring the nature of mental representations that support natural language production/understanding, other manifestations of cognition as well as general reasoning about the world. One fundamental question raised in this general topic area is whether the requisite knowledge structures can be adequately modeled by means of a uniform representational format, and if so, what exactly is its nature.
Topics addressed may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- frames, which have had a strong impact on the exploration of knowledge representations in artificial intelligence, psychology and linguistics: e.g., formal theories of frames (including their modeling by means of DAGs, AVMs), frame semantics and constructions, frame induction, linking frame semantics to truth conditional semantics;
- concepts and categorization: formation/acquisition of concepts, concept types and shifts, grounding of concepts, prototypes, concept empiricism, conceptual spaces and similarity of concepts, statistical concepts;
- experimental investigation of mental representation;
- semantic interpretation and mental representation: the syntax/semantics interface, compositionality, lexical semantic decomposition, (dynamic) representation of aspect and tense, temporal sequencing in discourse.
Invited Speakers (confirmed so far)
- Inbal Ben-Ami Bartal (University of California Berkeley)
- Nicola Guarino (ISTC-CNR)
- Peter Hagoort (Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics)
- Daniel Hole (Universität Stuttgart)
- Friederike Moltmann (Centre Nationale de la Recherche Scientifique)
- Albert Newen (Ruhr-Universität Bochum)
- Kjell Johan Sæbø (University of Oslo)
- Luc Steels (Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
Abstract Submission Deadline:
May 1, 2018 May 15, 2018
Notification of acceptance:
June 1, 2018 June 15, 2018
Conference: September 12-14, 2018